Mobility and transportation
Mobility and transport
The planning of actions that support the concept of sustainable mobility is the basis for the strategy of shaping the movement for urban, interurban and freight transport. The main areas of action for the 10-year horizon (2015-2025) are the following:
• Enhancement of environmentally friendly means of transportation: walking, bicycle. Formation of technical infrastructure: sidewalks, widening of existing pavements, new pedestrian streets, cycle paths, sharedspaces, mild streets etc.
• Enhancement of environmentally friendly motorized transport means: promotion of green private vehicles, buses, minibuses, electric bicycles. Strengthen private and public courier systems in a city with ‘clean’ green vehicles (eg cyclelogistics). Set a replacement rate with green vehicles.
• Combination of urban planning and traffic planning for existing and future studies of the Municipality.
• Sharemobility actions. Given the high cost of purchasing, maintaining, insuring and using private vehicles, initiatives are developed with reference to the international and European bikesharing, carsharing, carpooling and taxi-sharing environments combined with modern intelligent technologies (web applications, mobile applications, etc.). Infrastructure of host systems, support software projects.
• Real-time traffic management improvements for intra-community and inter-municipal travel with modern intelligent technologies (web applications, mobile applications, etc.)
• Create Standard Neighborhood Folders
• Urban Mobility Management Actions in the Influence of School Buildings and Schools. Creating a safe transport environment with softmeasures and infrastructure modulation interventions (intersections, pavement widening, street redevelopments, mono-stages, converging-divergent flows, signage, intelligent systems)
• Information, awareness raising and empowerment initiatives and consultation procedures on sustainable urban mobility.
• Combined education for young people and adults (emphasis on target groups: children, elderly people, people with disabilities, etc.) on issues of mobility and improvement of road safety
Technological infrastructure and services are an integral part of this axis as it is the basis on which smart and useful services are built. In co-operation with the city’s transport operators, Heraklion adopts the concept of intelligent transport by applying innovations in the field of ICT systems and services for transport and urban mobility.
This includes the following actions:
• Integrated digital urban mobility solutions
• Smart stops at the civil bus station of Heraklion
• Electronic system for free bicycle delivery to citizens by borrowing from specific delivery and delivery points that have been created throughout the city
• Installation of sensors on the buses of the urban KTEL of Heraklion for traffic monitoring on streets
• Combining ICT technologies for monitoring environmental and traffic problems
O Pilot creation and installation of special ICT urban equipment (signage, benches, lighting, shelters, stops, information and / or sale kiosks, environmental objects). Integration of measurement systems (atmospheric quality, light pollution, noise pollution, traffic, wifi, etc.)
• Circulation traffic measurement system using different types of sensors (eg using mobile phones on buses of the urban KTEL of Heraklion or with the help of the citizens).
• Develop a plan for intelligent freight transport strategies
• Actions for the gradual implementation of Cooperative Transport Systems (Cooperative Transport Systems)
• Exploitation and disclosure of existing and future measurement data resulting from the above intelligent and non-system
• Set up a traffic data collection system and real-time travel time information. Monitoring and coordination by a special department of the Municipality (Mobility Center).
• Actions to develop vehicle fleet management technologies
• Developing an intelligent controlled parking system (real-time information for pricing and availability)
• Use of open public data (eg geospatial data)
Actions for the benefit of users of MTBs, cyclists, pedestrians and motor vehicles Formation of an urban mobility center for informing users and authorities (providing travel information (timetables, tickets, discounts etc., general route information and specialized pedestrian routing – MMM – motor vehicle, traffic conditions, area interconnection options and optimal mobility, new / pilot systems, updating of passengers’ rights and obligations, information and awareness Citizens on mobility-circulation-environment issues, etc.).
• Information actions for Planning of Movement and Combined Movement
• Mobility Information Actions
• Actions for support of public urban and interurban transport systems (information & monitoring)
• Configuring systems for variable message boards (VMS)
• Stimulation actions for the design of multimodal transport and unified ticketing or alternatives resulting from mobility studies and intelligent transport systems
• Parking policy support actions. Parking policy will give priority to residents and will aim at short-term visitor parking. Emphasis will also be placed on managing power operations
• Road safety upgrade actions (maintenance monitoring, interventions, localization and improvement of dangerous points, systematic behavior monitoring, etc.)
• Use of technologies, techniques and know-how to ensure the eAccessibility of EACs and vulnerable social groups.