Energy and environment
The design of actions based on the “sustainable development” model is the basis of our policy on the environment and energy issues. Our vision: To make Heraklion a viable “green city”.
That is why we will try to:
• Make full use of the strategy envisaged in the “Covenant of Mayors for Sustainable Development and Reduction of Energy Consumption”.
• Measures to raise awareness and raise awareness among the public about energy savings.
• Controlling greenhouse gas emissions and calculating the carbon footprint of the Municipality in order to identify the areas that need protection and the necessary interventions. Determination of existing and predicted percentages / indices.
• Bioclimatic repairs of settlements and open spaces while increasing green spaces. The aim of the interventions is to improve the microclimate of the city’s densely built web and to reduce the energy consumption of buildings. Determination of existing and predicted percentages / indices.
• Energy interventions in municipal buildings by upgrading their shells. It is proven that heat insulation or optimization of cooling, heating and lighting systems achieves spectacular energy savings rates. Determination of existing and predicted percentages / indices.
• Study of public transport actions more environmentally friendly. Substantially upgrading the role and credibility of Mass Media to reduce private travel, reduce exhaust emissions and upgrade the urban environment. Determination of existing and predicted percentages / indices.
• Study of actions to integrate cycling and walking into city travel choices with the aim of further reducing private travel and enhancing combined travel (cycling – walking, cycling – public transport, walking – public transport, etc.). Determination of existing and predicted percentages / indices.
• Developing initiatives and actions to enhance the connectivity of urban planning and traffic planning. Relation of land-use patterns to the transport network and appropriate interventions in the transport system to reduce energy consumption from transport.
• Incentives to develop green and green innovation by small and medium-sized enterprises based in the municipality.
• Actions and initiatives for the rational management of water resources to reduce water consumption by both citizens and businesses.
• Incentives to develop renewable energy sources in the urban fabric while creating smart grids.
• Recycling network expansion, with increased collection points. Determination of existing and predicted percentages / indices.
• Promotion of public awareness actions in the areas of recycling and domestic composting.
• Creation of a dynamic system of recording the variations of quantitative and qualitative waste production with the aim of adapting the disposal system to the new data.
• Control and management of waste levels in smart bins, to improve collection. Determination of existing and predicted percentages / indices.
• Investigation of Expansion of the Recycling System to other materials (eg demolition materials).
• Recording and monitoring of environmental pollution, air quality, noise pollution and light pollution by means of the Internet of Things technologies. Determination of existing and predicted percentages / indices.
• Control and management of the water supply system and the underground water reservoirs of the Municipality of Heraklion using ICT.
• Protection of the natural ecosystems of the Municipality through the promotion of local flora and fauna.
• Set a green / resident ratio target rate in the historical center and neighborhoods of the city.
• Control and measurement of electromagnetic radiation in urban fabric.
• We will ensure the energy inspection of all municipal buildings so that we have a complete picture of their consumption. The aim is their energy classification in order to determine the type of interventions they need to save energy as well as to determine their cost and depreciation time.
• We aim at the same concern in order to save energy from the lighting of roads and communal areas.
The energy consumed has serious economic and environmental impacts on the site.
In addition to replacing existing lamps with newer low consumption, savings in municipal lighting can be achieved by installing a remote control system. Finally, the installation of photovoltaic lighting columns in parks and public spaces will be carefully considered, allowing lighting to be installed even in remote areas.
• With an integrated and modern waste management and energy saving plan, we will be able to seek funding from all possible sources (FTA, co-operation with Alternative Management Systems, European Investment Bank and European Programs – such as Intelligent Energy for Europe Intelligent Energy) or LIFE + -, which is a key environmental tool for the EU.
• We adopt Green New Technologies. This reduces energy consumption, educates citizens on their use, assists the institutionalization of teleworking and extends eGovernment services, in order, inter alia, to reduce travel.
• We promote the use of spatially-enabled technologies to manage the city’s infrastructure networks in order to improve efficiency and consumption. We use spatial analysis tools to redefine optimal paths and land uses.