Renovation of Georgiadis Park
The renovated Georgiadi Park opened to the public on Monday, October 19th.
The history of the project
Georgiadis Park is located in the city center, in the area of the excavated Venetian moat between the Vitouri and Sampionara Bastions, inside a declared archeological space. It was named after the mayor Minas Georgiadis, that was executed by the Germans in June 3, 1942. It has an area of 14.7 acres and is the main green lung of the central urban area in the city of Heraklion.
The study of the project “Environmental upgrade of Georgiadis Park” was prepared by the technical service of the Municipality and approved by the Municipal Council in August 2016.
The project was included in the Operational Program “Transport Infrastructure, Environment and Sustainable Development”, in the Priority Axis “Preservation and Protection of the Environment – Promotion of Efficient Use of Resources”, in April 2017 with a contract budget of 550.000 euro.
It launched in three main axis: 1) the functional and aesthetic upgrade of the park, 2) the creation of a park friendly to people with disabilities and 3) its environmental upgrade.
Specifically, the works that were foreseen by the study and have been implemented, concern:
- Functional and Aesthetic Upgrade
– replacement of curbs with new ones where required
– replacement of the old paving material of the tracks (asphalt / concrete / soil), with colored water-permeable concrete and “stabilized” soil, eco-friendly materials, water permeable, that allows the soil moisture, have a bioclimatic character and improve the microclimate of the area.
– replacement of urban equipment with new (benches, trash cans)
- Accessibility for people with mobility difficulties
– Accesibility works for people with disabilities by shaping gentle slopes and constructing blind paths on the larger surface of the corridors and the construction of blind lanes on the largest surface of the corridors.
- Environmental upgrade
– Soil improvement with the addition of new soil and the use of soil conditioners. Removal of dangerous trees and beautification of existing ones.
– Enrichment of green with installation of over 15.000 new plant species (herbaceous, shrubby and climbing). Construction of a new large rock garden with aromatic plants and phrygana (native species). Maintenance and completion of the existing small rock garden. Planting slopes with local plants.
– Construction of a new automated and underground irrigation network with the necessary water storage infrastructure.