Metropolitan optical fiber network of Heraklion municipality and Nea Alikarnassos municipality
The project “Metropolitan optical fiber network of Heraklion municipality and Nea Alikarnassos municipality” involves the interconnection of 100 and more public sector services with optical fiber networks (75 km) and local wireless networks where it was deemed necessary.
The projects budget is 4.031.736 euro and is funded with 80% by the NSRF (National Strategic Reference Framework) and with 20% by National funds.
The network indicatively connects the following Public sector branches:
• Public Management (Municipality of Heraklion, Municipality of Nea Alikarnassos, prefecture of Heraklion, prefecture of Crete)
• Education and research (University of Crete, Technological technical institution of Crete, Institute of research and technology of Crete, almost all the public schools and the Ecclesiastical Academy of Crete)
• Health sector (University Hospital of Heraklion, Venizeleio hospital, IKA, Ambulance emergency services)
• Culture and sports (Museums,Vikailea public library, Pan Cretan Stadium, Municipal gym )
The metropolitan optical fiber network will upgrade substantially the services offered to the citizens specifically in the sectors of Health, Education,Sports, Culture and Trade.
• 2007 – The contract for the implementation of the project was signed
• 2009 – The contract for the project “Expansion of Metropolitan Fiber Optic Network of the Municipality of Heraklion”, was signed
• 2011 – The network was first used by the municipality for the interconnection of its buildings as well as to serve the Free Access Wireless Network
• 2014 – The network was used by public institutions for SYZEFXIS connections serving 5500 employees
• 2014 – The network was used to connect 60 schools serving 18,000 students