Digital Library of Historical Documents
Digitization of the archives of the Vikelaia Municipal Library and all local newspapers from the 19th century until about 1960. The Vikelaia Municipal Library (B.D.B.) exploiting the New Technologies put into operation the Electronic Library and at the same time digitized part of which he made available to the public.
The visitor can search for books, read digitized Newspapers and Magazines, study the Turkish Archive and the Archive of Demogerontia as well as discover photos, videos and sounds of the city of Heraklion from the multimedia archival material of Vikelaia.
The benefits provided by the Digital Library of Historical Documents:
- There are no physical obstacles. Users of a digital library do not need to access its physical space, they can access it from anywhere in the world via the internet.
- Information is always available. The doors of the digital library are always open 24 hours a day.
- Multiple access. The same source can be used by many users at the same time.
- Structured approach, e.g. from the list we move to the book, from the book to the chapter we want, etc.
- Retrieve information through a friendly and easy to use information retrieval and retrieval environment.
- Servicing and maintenance. An exact copy of the original can be used without reducing the quality and wear of the physical object.
- Digital organizations can provide interfaces to other material of other digital organizations.
- Current information. The updating of the information becomes possible in a short period of time in contrast to the printed ones where the reprint time and the whole reproduction process are unbearably expensive and time consuming.
Visit the following link to find out about the operation of the Vikelaia library:
Vikelaia Digital Library